migrate-2-oz-on-facebook migrate-2-oz-on-twitter migrate-2-oz-on-linkedin migrate-2-oz-on-pinterest migrate-2-oz-on-google

Skilled Visa FAQs

Want to work in Australia, but not sure how to go about it? This page contains answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about visa applications for skilled migrants as well as employer sponsored migrants.

If you've got any questions that aren't answered here, or you'd like to talk to one of our representatives about your visa, contact us.

Skilled Visa FAQs

Q1: Does the visa application include my spouse and children or will I require additional applications and costs for them?

The main application is for you, your spouse and your dependent children. However, there are additional costs involved depending on the size of your family. The base application fee covers the main applicant and additional costs apply for each family member and they depend on their age and relationship to the main applicant.

Q2: Must I currently be working in my nominated occupation?

You no longer have to be currently working in your occupation. However, points are allocated depending on how much relevant work experience you have over the last 10 years.

Q3: Do I have to write the English language test?

Generally, yes – every main applicant must write the English test regardless of their circumstances.

Q4: Can I do my medicals now?

No, medicals should only be done once the visa has been applied for.

Q5: Once my visa is granted, will I have to leave for Australia immediately?

No, you will have an initial entry date on your visa grant which will be given to you based on the validity of your medicals and police clearances. You will then generally have a window of five years from date of grant to make your big move.

Q6: Can I extend my initial entry date?

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) are very reluctant to extend an initial entry date.

Employer Sponsored FAQs

Q1: Can I change my employer?

Yes, but only if the new employer is willing to take over your sponsorship and apply for a 457 Visa for you.

Q2: What happens if my employer goes bust or fires me?

You have 28 days in which to find a new employer that will sponsor you, or you will need to return home.

Q3: Is this a Permanent Residence Visa?

Generally, it is temporary visa for any period of time up to four years. Thereafter, your employer must renew your visa, either for another temporary visa or permanent residency.

Q4: Can I buy a house in Australia and open a bank account?


Q5: Am I eligible for medical insurance?

You are eligible for private health cover.