This information is taken from border.gov.au and is correct at time of publishing. Full article is available on: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/187-
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa, or subclass 187 visa, is a permanent residence visa for skilled workers who want to work in regional Australia. It allows you to work in Australia under one of three streams:
• the Temporary Residence Transition stream
• the Direct Entry stream
• the Agreement stream.
• be nominated by an approved Australian employer for a job in regional Australia (anywhere except the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong or Melbourne)
• are under 50 years of age, if you are applying under the Temporary Residence stream, or you are under 45 years of age if you are applying under the Direct Entry stream.
• meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements of the position
• meet the other requirements of one of the streams of this visa
|Stream||75% of Applicants Processed||90% of Applicants Processed|
|Temporary Residence Transition Stream||8 Months||11 Months|
|Direct Entry Stream||13 Months||15 Months|
Temporary Residence Transition stream
The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for at least two out of the three years (before the nomination is made), while holding a subclass 457 visa, in the same occupation with their nominating employer (who is not subject to a labour agreement and who has lodged a valid nomination with us under the Temporary Residence Transition stream), who wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation.
Direct Entry stream
The Direct Entry stream is for:
• people who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream
• people who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia
• temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream.
The Agreement stream is for subclass 457 visa holders nominated by an employer through a labour agreement.
Eligibility - All streams
Who could get this visa?
You might be able to get this visa if you:
• have been nominated by an approved Australian employer in regional Australia (outside of the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne) within six months before you apply
• are under the age of 50, if you are applying under the Temporary Residence stream, or are under the age of 45, if you are applying under the Direct Entry stream.
• at time of application lodgement, have the required skills and qualifications for the position you have been nominated for – you must hold any mandatory registration, license or professional membership, or you must already be fully assessed as suitable by the relevant body
• at time of application lodgement, have appropriate English language skills for Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream and Direct Entry (DE) stream.
• meet health and character requirements
• meet the requirements of the stream in which you apply.
English language requirements
You can show that your English is adequate by providing evidence at the time of application.
You must meet certain health requirements. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.
This applies to all members of your family unit included in your application, whether they are migrating or not.
You are able to organise your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application.
You must meet certain character requirements. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.
This applies to you and all members of your family unit listed in your application, whether they are migrating or not.
You can include the following people in your visa application at the time of lodgement:
• your partner
• your child/step-child or your partner’s child/step-child.
The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you. Members of your family unit must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements.
Please contact us and speak to one of our MARA-registered agents to discuss your application and to find out more about this visa. Call our office on +27 11 453 1229.